Nemo Design was kind enough to host the ultimate snowboard social event on November 16th — a book release party/show for Daniel Blom’s Drifting Decade, plus snowboard trivia hosted by yours truly. After enjoying some photography, we got down to business, and the trivia competition was tight. Twelve or so teams were vying for the gran prize pile of product, but it came down to the dream-team of snowboard nerds Java Fernandez, Chris Ryan, Preston Strout, Colleen Quigley, Per Hampus, Ami Voutilainen, Austin Will and Gary Tyler Mcleod aka “The Gaze” and the “Eerie Geerys” — Alex Mertz, Jeff Hehlen, Bryanna Woll, Tim Lawler, Graham Mueller and Rory Kaluza — in the lightning tie breaker round, and the Gaze won out. Special thanks to Mt. Bachelor, Salomon, Bonfire, Nike Snowboarding, Airblaster, Poler, Maple XO and Pabst Blue Ribbon for the prizes (and the latter for the beer!)
For more info on Drifting Decade or to get your own copy visit http://www.driftingdecade.com/
If you missed it and want to see how you would have done, here are the questions. Remember, Google DEFINITELY knows the answers, and cheaters never win. Also, if you really want to cheat, the correct answers are here.
1. Bozwreck is mostly known for its video production, and face tattoos. Who are the founding members of this rag-tag snowboard movement?
2. Set in the winter of 1998/99, what Northwest resort holds the record for the most snow in a single season?
3. The skatepark in Mammoth Lakes is named for this rider who tragically passed away in Japan. Name him.
4. There are three snowboarders who have won TWO Olympic gold medals. Name two of them.
5. Which legendary rider is the R & D Facilities at Burton named for?
6. Celebrating it’s 31st year running, this major snowboarding event will take place for the first time in Vail this season. Name it.
Audio/Visual – 3 Points Each
1. Since he loved to gamble, this 1990s pro’s graphics often featured Vegas-inspired themes. This one, released in 1997, looked like a craps table. Name this rider.
2. Mikey Leblanc in known for losing his shit and can be seen in this video doing just that. Name it.
3. In 1996, Ingemar Backman broke the high air record with this massive backside air. Name the photographer who captured this image. Was it:
B. Daniel Blom
D. Jeff Curtes
4. You may hear this song daily in Portland, but which rider used it in the 2003 video “Lame”?
5. Travis Rice is basically insane, and has put down some of the craziest tricks ever done over this Utah spot. Name it.
History – 5 Points Each
1. The first gold medal in snowboarding ever awarded was taken away after its recipient tested positive for Marujuana. Who was this law-breaking Canadian?
2. The first World Championships included the first-ever organized Halfpipe Competition. Not everyone was excited, in fact Jake Burton tried to get the discipline banned. Where was this iconic contest held?
3. What was the first mountain to allow snowboarding? Bonus: Name the three resorts that still do not ( 1 pt each).
4. The Snurfer was invented in 1965 in Meskegon, Michigan by who?
5. Contrary to popular beleif, Yobeat was not the first snowboard blog. What was the name of the very first snowboard blog?
Tie-breaker: Yobeat Trivia
1. Name the TWO original founders of Yobeat (and Nick Lipton is not one of them.)
2. Name all four Toeside Terrors.
3. What is the name of the Unofficial neighborhood Yobeat HQ is located in – two possible acceptable answers.
4. Who makes the series Terrible Tuesdays?
5. Who is Yobeat’s faithful Mascot?