Gov’y Lost Its Best Bartender

Charlies_Jeff

If you’ve spent any time in Gov’y, then surely you’ll remember Geoff Ecker, a staple at Charlie’s. We post with heavy hearts that Geoff has passed away and will no longer be putting up with your shit. If you never had the pleasure, enjoy this interview Colleen did with the man himself. RIP Geoff.

Update: Jeff had suffered several seizures recently, though his cause of death is unknown. His body was found this morning.

1. Robert Harold Sell III
    Robert Harold Sell III says:

He was a great man, who helped me initiate the beginning of many of the best Govy stories. He’ll be missed, and never replaced.

RIP, Geoff!

2. Piss Drunk Bitch
    Piss Drunk Bitch says:

I will (actually I did) never forget the night I was in the back and started screaming saying some dude hit me and you knew it was a lie and came back there an told me to SUCK THE FUCK UP. You didn’t kick me out there but 5 minutes later when I got another drink and made some bitch comment you pulled the glass out of my hand, smashed it and proceeded to kick my skank ass out of there. Rest in Peace no so gentle defender of the piece. Govy wont be the same.

3. Zimmerman
    Zimmerman says:

This sucks. Geoff was such a solid, positive influence on everyone that visited Charlie’s. I’m going to miss seeing him every summer.

Geoff, thanks for putting up with an overwhelming amount of our shit during the Quik/Grenade house days in Govy.

You’ll be sorely missed. RIP.

4. Jim
    Jim says:

RIP Geoff… You have cut me off, kicked me out, told me not to get involved in fights. You always let me back in, and you always had great travel stories to tell.
    Weekends in Govy will never be the same.

5. Rob
    Rob says:

Geoff was a truly great man. A teddy bear with a warm handshake or a hug if you were lucky,
    though he would come over the bar if required. A world traveler, liver of life, purveyor of wisdom,
    friend of all. His warm smile, excited stories from the last trip, plans for the next, praying for snow, made the years go by. May we all emulate his unconditional love for people and life, and make the world better place. Travel in Peace my friend.

6. danalit
    danalit says:

Geoff. miss you, so much —cant be true. We kicked some ass and drank some Jack…”Is that Mt.Hood, NO its RAINIER”…thats how the Rainier song was born… LOVE you—

7. Dean
    Dean says:

Geoff,

We had some great times together. Unfortunately that was too long ago. I only visited you in Govy one time, but it was epic. Take care my friend. I will see you when I see you.

8. Christian
    Christian says:

Geoff,
    From the first day I met you at TASIS, you have been the adventurer that I always wanted to be but didn’t have the guts. I know for a fact that your contact list contains names from all over the world. I’d venture to say that your laugh and smile has touched everyone you have ever met. There are going to be one hell of a lot of people, like myself, who have “Ecker” stories galore and not a single one of those folks can do anything else but smile as they pass them on. I love you Dude !!!

9. AdB
    AdB says:

Geoff was probably one of the smartest guys at school. And for those who don’t know he went to an exceptional school in Switzerland also known as TASIS but he wasn’t one to show and tell. And despite all the people from privileged backgrounds he was an exceptionally smart student but I can certainly say not a conformist – which I’m sure we are all cognizant did not always land him in good graces;-) but everyone respected him either for his intelligence or his refusal to conform. In the end he led his life how it pleased him which is probably a good lesson for all of us. It is many years since I saw him but boy did he speak fondly of his life in Govy so the community must have been great I’m not surprised they speak of him fondly in those parts. But he travelled the world and had friends all over, anyone would do a favour for Geoff, because that was the type of guy he was. There are not many but he was a good one. Take it easy and Ciao we had some good laughs and some good drinks my friend see you again some day.

10. THIRSTY CONVOY
    THIRSTY CONVOY says:

GEOFF,
    YOU WERE SUCH A SOLID DUDE. YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. TODAY IS A SAD DAY FOR ANYONE WHO EVER WALKED INTO THAT BLACK HOLE WE ALL KNOW AS CHAR BAR.
    RIP MY FRIEND…

11. Merms
    Merms says:

This breaks my heart – Geoff you truly were an amazing human being. I missed seeing you this past summer, but you’ve known me as a Charlie’s regular since I was 18, and you knew 🙂

I remember when we were both vegan/vegetarians & then after, indulged in the juiciest bacon cheeseburgers! Well deserved!

I’ll be listenin to some Phish for ya buddy. Thanks for your impact in my life and in so many others. We will always remember your kindness, humor, sterness, passion, and smile.

12. ThirtyTwo & etnies
    ThirtyTwo & etnies says:

We at ThirtyTwo and etnies are extremely saddened. Thoughts, respects and prayers go to Geoff, his family and everyone that had the privilege to see him smile and of course order a drink.

Charlie’s will never be the same.

Love,

32 / etnies

13. Pashley
    Pashley says:

I haven’t been up to Govy is a while, but this news has really bummed me out the last couple days. Geoff was responsible for some of the best times in my life, and probably some of his worst.

Thanks for putting up with all of our antics… He will be missed.

14. Alistair
    Alistair says:

Geoff impacted so many people in a life that was cut way too short. His smile was infectious, his character unforgettable. He was one of a kind …he left an indelible mark on this world in the memories of the people he connected with.
    Geoff I’ll miss you and I’m deeply saddened by the fact that I’ll never get a chance to catch up with you for one more reunion of old friends. Gone but never forgotten.

15. dd
    dd says:

Geoff treated us long term transients like locals and was always friendly and had some great conversation. RIP
    to send you off as you sent us off so many times

The Dutch
    (as performed by Charlie)

Oh, I had to carry Harry to the ferry,
    I had to carry Harry to the shore;
    Now, the reason that they had to carry Harry to the ferry
    Was that Harry couldn’t carry any more.

California! California!
    We’re out to do or die, or know the reason why!
    California! California!
    We’ll win the game or know the reason why!

And when the game is over we will buy a keg of booze,
    And we’ll drink to California ’til we wobble in our shoes.

So drink! (tra-la-la),
    Drink! (tra-la-la),
    Drink! Drank!
    Drunk last night, Oh, drunk the night before,
    Gonna get drunk tonight like I never got drunk before;
    When I’m drunk, I’m as happy as can be
    For, I am member of the Souse family.

Now, the (Souse) GOV’Y family is the best family
    That ever came over from old Germany.
    There’s the Highland Dutch, and the Lowland Dutch,
    The Rotterdam Dutch and the God-damned Dutch!

Singing, “Glorious! Victorious!
    One keg of beer for the four of us!”
    Singing, “Glory be to God that there are no more of us!
    One of us could drink it all alone – damn near.”

Now, the Irish eat potatoes and the French eat peas.
    The God-Damned Dutch? They eat Limburger cheese!

Now, what’s that I smell on the evening breeze?
    It’s the God damned Dutch eating Limburger cheese!

Now, Dutch women’s breasts, they are big and wide;
    Instead of milk there is beer inside!

Here’s to the Irish, dead drunk.