Firing Squad: November 30, 2010

It shouldn’t have surprised me that an urban shot won last week. I mean, according to the snowboard industry, Yobeat is the place where tight pants, pushed-back-beanie wearing shred hipsters come to bitch about everything that doesn’t look like it came straight out of a Videograss production. I only agree with about 80% of that statement, so for the other 20% of you, this week’s challenger features a dude on a snowboard jumping a waterfall. Pick your favorite variety of extremity.

The Champ

The Challenger


[poll id=”233″]

Think you can do better? Then quit your bitching. The Firing Squad is a weekly photo competition. Winners of a single battle will receive a pair of Da Kine gloves and should a photo survive 4 weeks, the photographer receives a place in the Champions Gallery and a Da Kine Camera Pack, as well as a chance to compete in the year-end Ultimate Champions battle. To enter your own photo in the Firing Squad, check out our submission guidelines.

  • feels like the challenger could be better … but it’s so tricky as well …

  • Sam

    ^ yeah while agree…..it’s just a little too busy for my eyes. it’s like this thing is rigged or something – champ

  • blindman

    The Champ for days, you got BW,sick lighting, and a stair landing. Sweet.

  • The challenger shot is sick, but there’s just too much waterfall… the rider is kinda stuck on the edge of the pic or something. Maybe if the tree branch wasn’t there, he would be able to stand out more.

  • Cool idea for the challenger, but the champ is just way better lit. Is this the final week? I can’t keep track of all these photos that keep winning. It’s like a storming of the champions gallery lately

  • Seriously, what’s going on in the Challenger’s shot? Okay, he’s jumping over the stream from somewhere to somewhere else. Too much blackness in the background, too much light on the foreground, too messy all over… lightning, especially on the rider, could have been a lot better.

    Come on guys, let’s make the Champ a CHAMPION for once! Champ is an artist, good thought through composition, nice edit and gives you a very clear idea of what’s happening. Sick ass spot as well!

  • ramblin

    fuck yeah j dubs

  • Cole

    Yeah the challengers is confusing. The rider looks weird in the air, is he even grabbing? Just looks like he is way backseat mid air to me…

    The lighting seems a bit flat too, this one goes to the champ!

  • tdannyk

    the challenger photo is corny. no idea where he’s going or coming from, the colors the dude is wearing are obnoxious and contrast with the setting in a bad way. The top photo is a way more interesting trick and the aesthetic of the photo reflects this. its subtler and doesnt fuck with you. the lighting is more interesting and the black and white helps to show how the lighting in working in the shot. wow longest serious post of my life.

  • jd

    The Champ photo you know is gnarly, but the Challenger photo could just be a 5 foot ollie over a creek. You don’t even know what is going on in the Challenger, plus he is only 5 feet in the air anyways, how is that even extreme?

  • Z

    The only thing the challenger needs = rim light.

  • satan

    I feel like the choosing of what photo goes against the champ right now is rigged for a certain someone…. just sayin

  • yo mama

    DING! DING! And the Champ wins another Round!

  • burnzkid

    “I mean, according to the snowboard industry, Yobeat is the place where tight pants, pushed-back-beanie wearing shred hipsters come to bitch about everything that doesn’t look like it came straight out of a Videograss production.” I’m going to have to say that statement is 100% correct.

    Champ, btw.

  • Jful

    thats just so gnarly.

  • @ burnzkid

    shut up

  • K

    is the challengers photograph done by the same photographer who did the other weeks challenger? feel like it is since it’s pretty similar.. champ still does it for me.

  • Pfunk

    I’m confused is the challenger wakeboarding?

  • Exif data killa

    Shot by Erik Bro Hostetler (read exif data)

  • Sam

    can’t believe the champ is lose to this crap

  • Estes

    I just bit my tongue and my cat barfed on my desk. Both suck. Can we vote that?

  • EstesTestes

    Estes you sir are an idiot and to know that no vote is necessary.

  • Flow_Drew

    This isn’t even a contest?!! The Champ is the Champ, hands down! The challenger’s photo is not even close to looking professional.

  • boof
  • I voted Challenger because I have no idea what is going on. Where did he come from? Where is he going? What is he doing?

    Champs would be WAY sick if there were two little changes: Get some more light on the rider, he has no legs, and also if the shot was taken a moment later so that his shadow didn’t have its head cut off. Otherwise it is a sick photo with a neat trick at a burly spot.