Hump Day with Ben Rice

2666701689_88b0a5668b

Ben Rice, a mellow fellow.                                                          Photo: Carey Haider

The first time I met Ben Rice was in a Portland loft party. The guy had a lot of swagger and looked like a young Keith Richards. Slinking around the party in some worn out gear drink in hand Ben made an impression. After some tough times, most of which he created, he’s focused and ready to blow minds. Skaters get over addictions to become better than they ever were, maybe Ben Rice can be that guy for snowboarding.

Yobeat: Ben, what’s going on?

Ben: Well, I haven’t slept in 24 hours, I missed my flight home, I just got wasted at the airport bar, and I have been drinking since. Now I’m gonna’ try and get someone to tattoo “pray for me” on my chest.

Yobeat: How much damage did you do at the airport?

Ben: Um, four tall cans and two Bloody Mary’s at the airport for $9 a piece. It’s the evening, it’s cool.

Yobeat: Where are you stuck?

Ben: Salt Lake City, Utah.

Yobeat: Are you headed home?

Ben: Yeah, North Lake Tahoe, on a couch.

Yobeat: Why are you in Utah?

Ben: Well I met my girl friend in Vegas for the (SIA) trade show and then went back to Salt Lake with her to film with Team Thunder productions and Bozwreck. Then she broke up with me, so I have had a pretty weird trip.

mail-3

Hold those eyes open…

Yobeat: At first glance I wouldn’t guess you are a snowboarder, how did you begin riding?

Ben: When I started, a long time ago, it was like the bad kid thing to do and I wanted to rebel against all the dorks who slapped gates.

Yobeat: When was a long time ago?

Ben: Like, 93 or 94, I lost count a while ago.

Yobeat: You’re a young man though, right?

Ben: Currently 22, but at 12 p.m. I will be 23. Kind of sucks, I’m getting old.

Yobeat: Tomorrow is your birthday?

Ben: Yep, kinda a shitty b-day missing my flight today and having to fly tomorrow. Maybe I will get lucky and my flight will go down and just do me in.

mail-2

Night time nosepick.

Yobeat: Let’s shake things up. How do you feel about drugs?

Ben: Do them, and try not to pay for them.

Yobeat: Drug of choice?

Ben: Right now I would have to say blow, the junk would just wreck me right now, not mentally stable. What’s yours?

Yobeat: I’d say Cigarettes and Fire Water. What is the worst thing that’s ever happened to you while buying junk?

Ben: Gave the guy $200 and he never came back.

Yobeat: How about blow?

Ben: Guy got raided right after I left. I ain’t no rat if that’s what your thinking.

Yobeat: Any blow inspired madness in your life?

Ben: Of course, last night I scored some blow. Partied all night and missed my flight. I’ve also been pulled over with an 8-ball in the car and the cop let us go with out searching us. We were all wasted and had the main coke dealer in Incline (Village) in the car. Homie ended up getting busted and hand cuffed and ran to Cali(fornia) to hide out for a bit. He got caught again.

Yobeat: How do you get snowboarding done with all this madness?

Ben: It makes me want to snowboard the next day, so I don’t feel like such a piece of shit. If I get something done and it’s cool I am way more stoked to know I had such a good time the night before than those guys who go to bed at eight and wake up at seven, strategically planning their day.

mail-1

Gettin’ inverted on something weird.

Yobeat: Who is pointing a camera at you this year?

Ben: Team Thunder, Bozwreck, and The Bear Movie.

Yobeat: Are you afraid your sponsors will drop you for your habits?

Ben: Do I sound like a piece of shit? I’m a good times guy I think. My sponsors knew what they were getting into with me, and I haven’t touched junk in two years or so.

Yobeat: You’re off smack completely?

Ben: Yeah.

Yobeat: What is the best thing that has ever happened to you?

Ben: Lately I have been partying with Matty Ryan a bunch. We have been getting shit done too. I’m stoked to see him pumped to snowboard again. I have looked up to him for so long and now that I get to work with him it’s cool. Seriously though, the best thing that has happened to me was my ex-girlfriend June Bhongjan. She really helped me get out of this hole I was in and showed me that snowboarding can be different in so many ways. She practically reinvented it for me. She dumped me though.

Yobeat: What kind of hole were you in?

Ben: You know, digging a chinese ditches.

l_b6c3fd0f3eb04cbeabab9afce90f3a8e

Ben Rice, crowd pleaser.

Yobeat: How about the worst thing that has ever happened to you?

Ben: It’s kind of a long list, should we get into the most recent?

Yobeat: How about the most exciting?

Ben: I was really into this girl in Tahoe who was 17, consent in Tahoe is 16 so I ain’t no creep. Her parents read her diary and found out that I was a few steps away from being a full on junkie, so they called the cops saying I was giving her drugs and all this bullshit. When really she was almost as deep as I was to begin with. So at the time my roommates were selling weed and blow, and the cops kinda knew, so they were trying to get into our spot and this was there ticket in. I got a heads up and left town for L.A. for a bit. The night before I left town one of my friends stole this Les Paul Studio with Jade tuning heads from this girl and it got blamed on me. So on my way out of town I tried to find him to get the guitar back and pawn it, but that never worked out. I ended up heading home after a few weeks and a whole lot more advanced in drugs 101.

Yobeat: So you’ve seen your share of hard times, drugged up times, and bad choices, but now you are off the smack and ready to attack?

Ben: Couldn’t say it better myself. Drugs are fun but there is a time and a place for them. If i have something important to do the next day I won’t stay out till the sun comes up.

Yobeat: The future is looking bright for Ben Rice?

Ben: So bright I need shades my man. Drugs can run you down but I flipped the switch on them.

l_5500f564b84a490283926128203a356d

Flipped and dipped.

Yobeat: So where do you go from here?

Ben: Man, I love getting shit done. Like a really good photo or shot, or even a trick with the homies can be my drug. I have gone weeks without any drugs, just snowboarding and that is all I needed. Nothing beats the feeling of landing something cool and people being stoked on you and your trick.

Yobeat: Has the addition of your new sponsors helped push this progress?

Ben: Totally, I can’t just go on week long benders. People expect things from me and I hate letting people down, nothing sucks more. Every sponsor I have has my back for once and I have theirs. If I’m stoked your gonna be stoked. I may seem like a piece of shit but I have serious integrity.

Yobeat: Favorite city?

Ben: L.A. baby.

Yobeat: Favorite band?

Ben: Right now I would have to go with Nikki Sudden and of course The Thunders.

2766195155_4e6e0b6bd8_o

Hello world…                                                                                 Photo: Carey Haider

Yobeat: Ever win a trophy?

Ben: Yeah a donut trophy at this Office Boy contest at Big Bear last year. It was the only one I ever liked, then it rotted, just like every thing else in my life.

Yobeat: Everything used to rot, now you are ready to conquer correct?

Ben: Things are happening, I am just negative so I don’t get my hopes up.

Yobeat: Who is paying for this weird trip?

Ben: Bataleon, Comune, Dragon, Celsius, Dakine, and The Elm Company.

Yobeat: Anyone deserve a thank you?

Ben: Yeah, Matty Ryan for really showing me what snowboarding is, Jake Divine for being so gangster, and Bob Plumb and LJ and Butters for being so easy to work with. Oh, and of course Team Thunder for giving a guy a chance.

Happy Birthday Ben, and God’s speed. Also, Yobeat would like to thank Robbie Sell and Carey Haider for providing photos.

1. diaper
    diaper says:

Are you kidding? Bring the heat buddy! Lot’s of dudes saw hard times and came back better than ever. Plus those photos are sick!

2. STOOOOPS
    STOOOOPS says:

This kid is mad Dorky. more dorky than Corey Duffel.

hey I do drugs!!! thats so gay.

the true druggies don’t talk about it when they are into it. He’s just a show, plus he sucks at snowboarding.

he fits perfectly on Bataleon.. nuff said.

3. yea
    yea says:

I don’t think dorky is the right word.

Stupid definitely.. So over the whole “I’M COOL I DO DRUGS” thing. And what does the “age of consent” have to do anything? Dating and doing drugs with a 17 year old when you are in your 20s is way creepy. And he’s worried about getting old at 23.. Coke ages you more than anything.. I know cokeheads that look like they are in their 30s and 40s when they are in their 20s. Look at Nate Bozung.. hahaha.

Duh.

4. jackattack
    jackattack says:

I dunno if you guys read the interview. He parties, sure, but I got the feeling this was all about him turning it around. I say we wait for his video parts to come out to start judging. Plus, Nate Bozung is fucking sick.

5. Carey Haider
    Carey Haider says:

I was in video chat with Ben while he was doing the interview. What you gotta realize is he wouldn’t normally have said this stuff, he keeps his problems known to only a handful of friends. But at this moment of the interview Ben had drank around a 6 pack and had been up for days. He was nodding off during the interview and could barely pull a thought together or do the interview. I was actually yelling at him to focus. Thats what makes it so good is its raw, in the moment. Snowboarding is a junk show of pretty faces and million dollar contracts. Ben lives for the moment and has no fears. Not that drugs are good for everyone, but I dont see Ben ever working a desk job. He is how he looks, a lifestyle. Too many dudes dress one way and have never picked up a guitar…..etc. Ben’s the real deal and on top of that hes a nice dude and will give you the shirt of his back. I know most of you reading this are into snowboarding, but I think its above and beyond that, its a good party story and a good time. Lets face it, most of snowboarding is a bunch of drug addicts, its just always not been talked about because chain stores need it to be shiny to sell to suburb moms. NIck Lipton is doing a great job at showing whats really going on. Like I said before, enjoy this story for what it is, not for how good Ben is at snowboading(he actually is amazing though). Lifes a party, sleep when your dead.

6. laaaame
    laaaame says:

you’re trying way too hard.
    broadcasting your blow habit to the world won’t make you any cooler or more liked.

7. T-Dood
    T-Dood says:

Man there are lot of squares on here, live a little you pussies. Ben is a great guy and even though I don’t see him often we always pick up where we left off. Give the kid a break for Christs sake. There is nothing wrong with experimenting with drugs.

8. FLETCHER
    FLETCHER says:

This is the most unoriginal bullshit i’ve seen in a while. Did you just interview Jim Greco? Give me a break, fucking snowboarding gimmick bullshit. Why don’t you just pull a Gator and go straight to jail and save us from your fucking sob story. Great, you do drugs… pretty much the most boring and easy thing to do in the world. Good luck out there, don’t slip and fall on some cock for coke when your snowboard career dies next season.

9. daddy
    daddy says:

Yo Fletch, stop being a school counselor and start being a person. You’re a fucking dork. You obviously missed the point of the interview. You’re one of those guys who is afraid of a little mixin’ huh?

10. STOOOOPS
    STOOOOPS says:

this was just mad dorky. I like how you guys think he’s all original and a keith richards guys and all…

NEWS FLASH! 90% OF THE GUYS THAT GO TO MY LOCAL BAR LOOK LIKE HIM.

wake up you, he’s just another hipster.. no big deal! except for the fact that he can’t snowboard, and he’s not even in a legit movie.

why did i just read that interview about someone who doesn’t mean anything in the snowboard world?

11. fuck  you
    fuck you says:

stoops and fletcher got it right, kids a straight herb. Greco sucks, and greco biters are even worse, fucking clown

12. DUH
    DUH says:

Yea kid obviously has problems. He’s gonna have a long road ahead of him if he keeps this up. Not judging, just being honest. Carey, I think it’s irresponsible of you to say that MOST of snowboarding is a bunch of drug addicts when that simply isn’t true. And, quite frankly, hard drugs aren’t good for anybody.. whether or not you work a desk job. Your attempt to make Ben look better actually (he’s a lifestyle???) made him look worse and you look like an idiot.

13. elias trashin' fashin'
    elias trashin' fashin' says:

ben doesnt really have problems. the interview just happened to take place at a bad time. you could interview me after my van gets towed and im hungover and i’d probably say. ‘i’ll suck your dick, man. just give me a ride”… i hang out with him all the time and have never encountered one of the situations he talks about. he’s not lying, buts its not an everyday thing. he’s a rad dude. always a genuine person. all you fags talking shit probably call a party “seeing how many rockstars you can drink”. i know your type. he never mentioned greco once…. and whoever said he doesnt have a legit video part. has probably never even been filmed by anyone except by his mom when he put his rollerblades on for the first time. video parts are politics anyways. your sponsor doesnt pay enough… you dont get filmed.

14. naw
    naw says:

this is beginning to remind me of twsnow shit show talk. Big ups for throwin yourself out there. How many snowboarders do you truly feel like you are that much closer to after a web interview? No beating around the bush here, this is life, like it or not.

15. Le Noir/Coming soon
    Le Noir/Coming soon says:

Sinatra said it best. “Thats life, thats what I say, shot up in april, shot down in may.”
    Ben’s the real deal. He’s not trying to be an olympic athlete or a pretty boy. He busts his ass all day and partys at night, who doesn’t like a good time anyways? To each there own.
    WE LOVE YOU BEN!

16. OnTheTeam
    OnTheTeam says:

I like this style, he just tells what’s up, It’s not a show or marketing trick.. he’s for real and doesn’t care what you haters think about it. He doesn’t say what he does is correct or not, he just told you the situation he’s in and was in.. Just cause Ben ain’t the perfect all American “quarterback ” doesn’t mean he ain’t no good guy or athlete..

17. june
    june says:

hahaha you guys hate so much. He tells it like it is. Yeah, he HAD a problem. Now, he’s off of it and he’s moving on.

Most of you were so absorbed with the fact that some kid did drugs and is talking about it, but the whole interview is about him turning himself around.

This interview is so interesting and real, not like most snowboard interviews. Would you rather hear about his favorite candy or something?

I’m glad there are haters out there. A negative response is better than no response at all. Controversy causes commotion. If you really felt like you “wasted” your time reading this interview, why waste your time posting a hate comment? He obviously provoked some thought and made the haters feel they should voice their opinions.

Ben is real, down to earth and passionate with what he does. I’ve never met anyone like him.

PS the whole hipster comment is bullshit and is just a low blow. please think of something more clever.

18. Westenbanger
    Westenbanger says:

Do we need the interview to be given an “R” rating so that you guys don’t get so butt-hurt?

19. dolly
    dolly says:

i second june’s comment.

and don’t hate on someone if you don’t know him. meet him in person before you make assumptions or ill-conceived notions about his character.

for the record, i think ben is great.

20. Little Rice
    Little Rice says:

Awesome Ben!!!! Totally raw and kinda cool to see into your other life… Fuck all the haters!!! At least you know what you are… Everyone else, they are the unoriginal ones! And Stooop…. How many times are you going to use the word Dork??? There are better adjectives… so go fuck yourself and while you are at it…. go look for a better insult you cocksucker!

21. skateboarding'sbetter
    skateboarding'sbetter says:

so hyped on this guy, its so sick to see snowboarding getting less gayer and more fucking gnarly like the skateboard scene, the whole comune and bataleon team is definatly walking in a good direction

22. wack.
    wack. says:

and june. you say the whole interview is about turning himself around. but at the beginning of this interview he sayd hes wasted and did blow the night prior. you people are idiots. fuck california you fake bitches.

23. Eric M
    Eric M says:

I Doooo drugggs, cause diggles will drive me home.. Don’t hate, jus do your own thing and don’t worry if others are doing drugs.. who cares. He’s not trying to make a career out of snowboarding you dumb fucks. it’s for the love of it… suck a chicken bone nowison

24. Corey Smith
    Corey Smith says:

Thank God for Ben Rice the rest of snowboarding looks like fucking Nickelodeon. Ben loves snowboarding straight up. He’s one of the craziest bastards I’ve ever met.

25. Lurch
    Lurch says:

Kids like Ben are putting snowboarding back where it needs to be. Its all Totinos and Toyota right now. Ben keeps it real, and does it right. Genuine ass dude. Quit getting hung up on the things you dont like about him and go back to transworlds sugar coated interview site.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] Ben Ruby Rice is way too cool for snowboarding, which is probably how he scored his first real acting gig. According to the COMUNE website, Ben will be appearing in an upcoming Jamie Heinrich film titled “Happily Never After”. HAPPILY NEVER AFTER is about a guy, Cole, with a 13 year old daughter. Cole is known for his background as a famous commercial actor from the 80′s. He has now taken on his own made up profession as a photographer. […]