Hump Day Goes Green with Tyler Lynch

tylerartimg

Tyler Lynch is a crucial member of one of snowboarding’s favorite crews: the Gremlinz. Thrashing both a skateboard and a snowboard, Tyler has been dropping hammers for a couple years. Traveling cross-country in a bus with 12 of his friends, I caught up with Tyler on the phone to ask him a couple questions about life, Sababa land, and new business ventures.

Where are you from and when did you start boarding?

I’m from Rutland Vermont and I started snowboarding when I was 8 at Pico, right next to Killington.

Is that when you started chilling with the Gremlinz?

I was probably in the 6th grade. There was my brother, Zack, and Nico. We started the whole Green Bandit thing and then it became Green Bandit productions once we got a camera and started filming shit.

Do the Gremlinz follow a democratic process?

Definitely. It’s really the only way it works with us. Pretty much just going with the flow and doing what makes everybody happy. That’s why the bus has been so great, because when you are filming with a bunch of different cars it’s hard to keep everybody together. When everyone is on the bus it’s awesome because you’ve just got everybody and you can decide right then and there.

Can you tell me about GBP snowboards?

This year was the first year of it, so it really just got started. The idea came about last Christmas and Dylan figured he could talk to Smokin’ J. He was down so it happened really quick. Now we have three more graphics coming and we are trying to get them ready to go for next year.

photo-6
I suspect Tyler rolled into this shoot straight from the beach.

Do you design all the graphics?

Ya, I’ve done all the graphics so far. The first run I just wanted a Gremlinz specific graphic, but I’ve gotten new ideas from my brother and Nico and Miggs, who all have their own graphics coming.  So they gave me ideas for what they wanted and I just painted them.

When did painting become a part of your life?

It’s pretty much always been around. My sister has always been drawing and painting and I had a really good art teacher in high school.  He got me really into it, been doing it ever since.

What inspires your work?

I love to paint earthy shit. Outdoor tree fort, Sababa land type-shit, and try and get the idea through to everyone through my paintings. I also love to draw monkeys and Gremlinz. Characters are just fun.

photo-7
Surprisingly, I can’t spot anything profane in the photo.

What is Sababa land?

The idea of Sababa Land came after I saw this documentary called Garbage Warrior where this architect builds houses that are fully sustainable. Once I saw that, I figured we all needed to do that because paying rent and bills has been the hardest thing for all of us. The only way to keep us all together is to find a place that we can all live for free and always come back to. Basically we are looking to build a sustainable zone in Tahoe with a bunch of skate ramps and all kinds of fun stuff. We’re just trying keep everybody together for free and continue forward with the green movement and get out of this whole trap.

Have you started building?

So far it’s just the idea, but we’ve been getting everybody on board and we are going to start looking for land in the spring. As of right now I’m just trying to get some money saved up and get the company going so that if we ever make a profit off it we can start looking at land.

What’s good with the Gremlinz bus?

It’s heading back west, we are down in Mass right now at Butternut but we’ve been in Vermont for a couple weeks and next we are heading to Denver, which is our first stop. After that we are just going to see what happens and follow the snow. There are about 12 of us on it so it should be a good mission.

photo-10
Windows painted so the cops can’t see in.

You guys converted it to a veggie bus, correct?

Ya, Max Weinburger did it. We heard about his gas conversion on his truck so we talked to him about the idea of getting a bus and he was down to do it. We wanted to be able to drive across the country for free, cus we had been planning a big trip back east to premiere the movie. It all happened real quick, and everybody pitched in and so far it’s been great. We are stocking up on veggie tonight.

Who painted it?

James Haunt from JSLV helped out, Ben Huntington did most of it and a couple of his friends. I did the front and back with some help. Basically a collab all over the bus but the JSLV guys hooked it up.

photo-9
I can only imagine what conservative families think when they see this thing in the rearview mirror.

Do you work with JSLV a lot?

I just started getting involved with them this year but Lucas has been tight with those guys forever, so they kind of just pulled me in and so far it’s been great. We’ve got plans to do stuff for the next couple years and they are just down to back the whole crew, which is probably one of the biggest things. We’ve always been looking for that.

Do you think people don’t take the Gremlinz seriously?

Ya, I mean there are a lot of people in the pack, and then the videos we make, I think people just make judgments about the music that we put it to or something, or look at it whatever way they do but we’re just tryna let people know about our crew really. We’ve stuck together forever and hopefully people can just get past their problems with it or whatever.

Are you guys filming another movie this year?

Yup. We are doing a tour video so all the footage from this bus trip is going to be turned into a video. Not to sure on the name yet, maybe just “Bussit.”

TylerLynch_crailslide-p_ErikHoffman-640x426
Throwback Wednesday: Tyler’s first trip to Windells Concrete Jungle. photo: Darcy Bacha

You kill it on a skateboard. Is skating more fun than snowboarding?

More fun? Ya. Definitely. I mean we do a lot more snowboard stuff, but I love to skate. It’s way more fun and it just feels…quicker.

Sponsors and Shout outs?

Miggs, my family, Home pop and Heidi, JSLV, thirty-two, Electric, Darkside snowboard shop, Flux bindings.

1. ihatebeingrightalways
    ihatebeingrightalways says:

he doesn’t need to leave gremlinz he got a humpday a week after everyone on here requested it, pretty sure he is moving up on his own.

2. Hate
    Hate says:

Snowboarding is forever skateboardings annoying little brother. Every time snowboarding has someone who skates well they are flaunted around like “LOOK! See? Don’t you think we’re cool???”

3. The reall MR. chi City
    The reall MR. chi City says:

@ hate, quit being mad you cant skate, just because its not as easy as snowboarding

4. Dopeninja
    Dopeninja says:

Tyler Lynch is never leaving GBP i’m pretty sure he made that clear. And as far as i’m concerned he’s gonna be a one of the best. Kids staying true to his friends and rips on his boards. Tyler lynch for prez

5. Erik
    Erik says:

***Throwback Wednesday: Tyler’s first trip to Windells Concrete Jungle. photo: “Erik Hoffman”***

6. ble
    ble says:

@kvlt, yes thats the implication. for a kid whos been killing it for years and has gotten almost no recognition this interview is moving up. hopefully its just the start cause tylers the real deal and deserves a chance.

7. Goat Show
    Goat Show says:

I think the real question here is why doesnt Raw sponsor this kid? Better yet all of GBP.
    Next up, interview with Magoon where he has to use a translator because he smoked his self full re-re

8. dirtymike
    dirtymike says:

I don’t get how other snowboarders and skaters can hate on this…I think its Awesome he’s doin the whole sustainable house to keep the homies together…and while I was scrollin through thre comments I saw some guckin loser wrote tyler needs to leave gremlnz if he wants to move up..? What the guck its not a pro team or anything and show what snowboarding is really about and ibet that tyler is happy where he is jus livin

9. Idiots
    Idiots says:

@Goatshow- They get raw papers all day for free whatchu talking about? Check there instagram fool. And magoon smoked him self retarded? like 3-4 years ago knocked him self out skating was in a coma for over a month. The kids lucky he can even still snowboard. Might wanna check yr facts before you start cherpin like dummy.

10. retro
    retro says:

he should upload his old edit with the dylan hurricane soundtrack. that was and will always be one of my favourite edits ever!

11. yupp
    yupp says:

still so much hating in snowboarding/skating.
    keep the negativity to yourself and be stoked for people who are doing what they want to do.
    Keep it up tyler!

12. EastCoastKillinShit
    EastCoastKillinShit says:

Tyler Lynch is a straight up G, I’m a local rider, I whenever I see him or any of the gbp crew they be straight killing it, skating/snowboarding or life in general, they be champs living the good life,East Coast Represent

13. Kevin
    Kevin says:

Good to see hes finally getting some coverage, both like this and in the thirtytwo edits and stuff. Hes been killing it forever and is in my opionion one of the most underrated riders out

14. Miggs seems cool though
    Miggs seems cool though says:

Just wondering, does anyone know why Miggs is affliliated with them, other than helping out with gbp and chilling with them. Don’t get me wrong, he seems super cool, but i never see him ride so i was just wondering what he does

15. Lil 'Bud'dha
    Lil 'Bud'dha says:

so much love for GBP, one of the sickest crews out for sure, their soup kitchen edits are always sick!

16. realtalk
    realtalk says:

17. Dwight
    Dwight says:

Yeeeeah Son that’s what’s good out there makin shit happen that’s what’s good. Keep on keepin on cause one day there might be a gremlin on yo porch

18. BeerBellyProductions
    BeerBellyProductions says:

Both of the Lynch brothers are skilled and humble, and deserve any press they get. Way to keep after it fellas. Thanks for putting Rutland on the map.

19. Jon H
    Jon H says:

Tyler! Congrats g! You keep doing you homie, you are getting your well deserved shine. Haha doing something right with the gremlinz movement! So much right that we got all the wannabe’s hating! Dudes a true ripper, and an inspirational kid. We <3 haters.

20. trillstar
    trillstar says:

There is no possible way to hate on this dude. him and all the gbp dudes are the nicest most down to earth dudes out there, people are just mad cause there not ktc

21. Hate
    Hate says:

To those asking why people hate on this, this is why…

“To all yall hatin on here, nobody gives a f*ck about what you sayin. all you doin is wastin your miserable time tryna undermine someone that is better than you will ever be in any aspect of your life. tyler aint ever gonna leave the gremlinz because those are his people and thats what real homies do they stick together no matter whats thrown at them. fuck the business. real stay real. haters get back to tryna make yourselves feel better, you obviously dont understand what snowboarding/skating means. GBP stay on it”

REAL HOMIES, REAL STAY REAL!

22. Wetcigg
    Wetcigg says:

This community is too small fo hate, hating or haters. We all have our own expressions or feelings that drive what we do INDIViDuALLY on our boards, that’s why we do it cuz it’s our OWN.

If you want to hate go play polo or some whack ass shit like that join a fraternity bro.

GBP GBP GBP GBP GBP GBP GBP GBP GBP GBP GBP GBP GBP GBP GBP GBP GBP

Gremlinz crew kill it

23. Jh
    Jh says:

i take it most people are white on this comment board. stopping trying to talk like a bunch of “niggas” because if can afford to learn to snowboard you obviously are not living in the ghetto, so stop fucking talking and dressing like it and maybe some people may have more respect for your shit. good read tho.

24. rkelly
    rkelly says:

^ theres the weekend warrior look….tight cloths…loose cloths. thats about it….sorry we pick one of the 3

25. Real Creepin
    Real Creepin says:

your all nuts if ur talkin shit on tyler. gbp and all the vermonsters are fuckin kick ass kids tht do wht they wana do with there friends. and tyler fuckin shreds!!!

26. East Coast
    East Coast says:

I respect Tyler and the rest of the pack. It’s refreshing to see people in snowboarding doing something different. Sustainable energy, entrepreneurship, etc. Sababa

27. kohlaid
    kohlaid says:

Tyler Lynch is hands down one of the best snowboarders on this planet. He is also one of the nicest. The entire GBP crew are good people and if you want to come online and talk shit like some fuck do so, they will not be fased. That bus changed my life, i was welcomed on and treated like I knew these cats fo my entire life. Amazing people, good homies, and for those hatin go enjoy being a dick since you cant be kind.